4.07.2008

Thing 16

It was fun looking at the different library wikis. They are a great way to share information. Off the top of my head I can think of a couple of different uses for wikis in the library. If a library purchases a lot of different databases I think a wiki would be a great place to store information about them. For example you could include a brief description, type of materials included, any hints or tricks for using the database and troubleshooting tips. I also think a wiki could be a useful tool to keep track of programming ideas. Specifically I was thinking about summer reading actives and ideas. As you came across a fun activity you could just add it to the wiki. When you needed an idea all you’d have to do is browse the wiki. I’m sure this has been done is paper for years but the nice thing about it being is a wiki is that you can share it with co-works, friends, or other librarians in the system. Now it’s not just you contributing great ideas but a group of people and you can all benefit.

No comments: