I read Into a new world of librarianship. I think Michael made a lot of good points. As librarians we need to continue to base are services on the needs of our patrons. We need to take a look at all of the Web 2.0 tools and see how they can be used to enhance services to our patrons. As technology changes and grows we need to continue to embrace the changes.
I also liked what Rick Anderson had to say about reliance on user education. Think about your patron-to-librarian ratio. There is no way we can interact with all of them and teach them the secret library language. As the popularity of web 2.0 continues to grow maybe we need to really look at these sites and see what makes them popular. We need to look at not just their functions but how they are set up, their choice of wording (vocabulary), ease of use and see how we can bring these characteristics to library websites, catalogs and databases.
No comments:
Post a Comment